Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Meeting Mrs. Marcia Jones

I volunteered today in my Mom's classroom. WOW. First graders are really something. We left immediately after school (not normal for my mom) for an appointment, making a point to return to the school tonight. So, when we did go back to the school, it just so happened the second grade team was hosting a parent/student author night. Marcia Thornton Jones was visiting. In case you're wondering, she is the author of the children's chapter book series "The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids." I was so excited (I know I'm an adult, but really...) because I used to read her books when I was little and she's big-time. Listening to her talk about her writing experiences was fascinating. Something most people don't know, is she is an amazing artist! I was so impressed. I ran down to my mom's classroom and grabbed one of her books and, yay!, I got it signed. I'm very pleased with myself. :) She's a very nice lady and she recommend that I stay in the nursing field, instead of going into the editing/publishing field. I wasn't expecting her to turn down my idea of working in the book editing/publishing field. I mean, she is an author. But, it was nice to hear someone's true opinion, instead of the usual nodding in agreement to what I'm saying, that I get from most of my extended family and friends (although I love them too). She gave me an idea, that I hadn't considered, saying that I should major in Nursing and get a minor in Literature and edit Medical books on the side. A definite consideration. Happening upon her visit was such a nice surprise and a great end to my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment