Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Eve


Eve is over and I don't know whether I am relieved or, well, not relieved. It was a definite "quick read" but the first half was almost too "quick" for me. I wish Ms. Carey had taken her time in building the plot instead of jumping head first into it. I would of rather her spread the first two chapters out into four chapters, and really let the plot thicken. But hey, she's the published author here.
Eve takes place sixteen years after a deadly virus has taken most of the human population. The name sake of the book is an eighteen year old girl- Eve, who was taken as as a child, from her dying mother, and raised at a school for girls. On the night before her graduation she discovers the truth behind the school and what her promised future actually is, which was nothing like she could have ever dreamed (or feared). She flees into the wild and after meeting up with an old friend from the past, the two set off west to Califia, the dreamlike land of a secure present and a safe future. The two must discover a way to survive in a world they never really knew. Along the way, they will encounter danger, betrayal, friendship and, for Eve, ultimately- love.

Excerpt from Eve: "Arden?" I said again, softer this time. Her eyes were squeezed shut, her cheeks pink and contorted. She turned over, her chest heaving. I stood, reaching out my hand, but she didn't move. Instead her body curled into a tight ball, tensing with great effort. She hacked loudly, her coughs splitting the air. I dropped to the floor. My hand rested on her back as she lurched forwards, trying to free her lungs. When she pulled away we both looked down. Her palms were covered with blood.

Title: Eve
Author: Anna Carey

Purchase Eve here

No comments:

Post a Comment